Thursday 20 May 2010

Lucie Rie


I went to one of the most inspiring exhibitions I've been to in a long time today. It was a retrospective of the work of Lucie Rie, a potter I had never even heard of until I came here. She was born in Vienna, but fled to England during the war and lived there until her death in 1995, where she devoted her life to creating ceramic works of art that really do take your breath away. I was actually quite moved when I saw it and I'm sure I appreciate the delicacy and work that has gone into the pieces now that I have been studying pottery for a while. Her shapes were so inspiring and the use of glaze simple yet very effective. It was also good to see that some of her early pieces looked a little like my clumpy caveman pieces, so there's hope for me yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment