Friday 18 December 2009

Christmas Cheer


Well, I am gearing up for my trip back to England tomorrow, and getting very excited about seeing family and friends. Little lila is now 6 months old and has really changed since I last saw her. While I am thinking of Christmas Day with the turkey, stuffing and all the trimmings, the Japanese are thinking of New Years Day (which is when they celebrate) and a box of fish! This is a very traditional thing and not used as much nowadays, but is called osechi ryori. They are dishes packed in layers of lacquer boxes and each dish and ingredient has a meaning such as good health, fertility, happiness etc. In the old days, women would spend days making up these boxes, but today they are pre-ordered and ready-made for you. I can't help thinking the box could smell a little fishy when you open it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment